- Posted by portman-admin
- On 30th November 2016
- 0 Comments
Case study: MT Finance – Relocation
Structural cabling, power cabling, connectivity, analogue lines for the alarm, secured and redundant connectivity setup, VoIP phones deployment, IT support.
In 2015, when MT Finance moved to the new office, the space was a blank canvas, there was no power, no IT cabling and no connectivity.
Our main tasks were to provide the structural cabling of the new office, the power cabling along with the connectivity and the analogue lines for the alarm. Our team also provided the secured and redundant connectivity setup as well as the VoIP phones deployment while continually giving IT support to our client.
After the initial conversation with our client, we established that the main objectives were to:
- Design and deploy power infrastructure (floor boxes and wall outlets, including high level mounted outlets for the TV set);
- Design and deploy Cat.6 structural cabling (floor boxes, wall outlets, including high level mounted outlets for the TV set);
- Provide a data cabinet with bespoke design of secured redundant connectivity;
- Provide a hosted VoIP phone system;
- Provide an analogue phone line for the alarm.
After having further conversations with the client, there was a requirement to:
- Diagnose PC issues, propose and deploy a solution to speed machines up;
- Provide an ad-hoc IT support;
- Provide BT services to the office above MT Finance.
- The site had no suspended ceiling or a raised floor which required further planning for cabling.
- Portman Tech had to work on site along with the building/fit-out team’s all the cabling works had to be coordinated between teams, as we had to dismount the floor to put the power and Ethernet cables in. All of our works had to be coordinated properly with the other team who was focusing on building the partition walls and creating the kitchen area. Furthermore, all our cabling works, including preparing the floor ports, had to be finished before the carpet and tiles were put in place.
- The floor -we had to remove for cabling- was initially unprofessionally mounted and required a lot of extra work to put it back in place in the correct way.
- Timescales with the fit-out team required our huge flexibility and working out of office hours and over the weekends.
Plan and Delivery: Our plan of action included 8 different stages in which our engineers had to work closely with the MTF representatives.
Stage 1, Power:
- Over the weekend, before the fit-out team started their job, Portman Tech prepared all the floor ports (cut holes in the floor, mounted the floor box bases) and distributed all power cables under the floor and behind the walls along with termination in the floor and wall boxes and the power distribution unit based in building’s raiser.
Stage 2, Copper Connectivity:
- Portman Tech connected the BT services from the nearby shop with 20-pairs cable over 5 floors providing connectivity to MTF on the 3rd floor and also for one of the other tenants on the 5th floor as requested. Our engineers managed to do all of this work during the weekend, through the basement, toilets and building’s raiser.
- Utilising 20 pairs cable, we were able to connect the ADSL lines and the analogue line for the alarm.
Stage 3, Cat.6 Cabling (phase 1)
- Working during the same time as the fit-out company- we managed to data-cable the whole office- providing 42 data outlets for PCs and IP phones;
- Cables were terminated in the floor boxes and wall ports and the patch panels in the communications cabinet.
Stage 4, Secure Connectivity
Portman Tech provided:
- Two ADSL lines for data and VoIP;
- Firewall configuration and installation to assure data security;
- PoE switch installation for IP phones.
Stage 5, VoIP solution
- We provided a hosted telephony solution based on Cisco phones and Portman Tech’s VoIP platform.
Stage 6, IT Support
- Portman Tech provided IT support to resolve issues with the PCs;
- We reinstalled the PCs requiring special attention, upgraded the RAM, optimized the performance and updated the AV software.
Stage 7, Fibre Connectivity
- Portman Tech provided a fibre optic connection with high speed broadband;
- We also provided the fibre optic cable -works done over the weekend;
- When the fibre connection started working, we reconfigured the firewall by making the fibre broadband a main firewall; (the ADSL became a backup connection).
Stage 8, Ongoing
- We are currently providing ad-hoc consultancy and support for MT Finance’s setting up printers, new starters, relocating PCs, adding additional outlets.
This section presents the results of the objectives used in the study.
- At the beginning, this project was very difficult due to having a challenging site. Although there was no possibility of running any cables without listing the unprofessionally mounted floor, our engineers worked over the weekend and out of hours in order to get the job done properly and satisfy our customer MT Finance.
- Our engineers had to prove their tenacity, team spirit as well as flexibility by working with the other team at the same time and keeping the timescales.
Testimonial from Joshua Elash, Director of MT Finance:
“We moved into new offices in 2015 and commissioned Portman Tech to handle the implementation of an entirely new I.T. and telephone infrastructure and network. From start to finish the quality of the service and the equipment provided was impeccable. We enjoy an ongoing relationship with the team at Portman Tech who now regularly monitor our network and provide IT support. MTF fully endorses the professionalism that Portman Tech brings to the table”.