- Posted by portman-admin
- On 25th October 2016
- 0 Comments
- Aldgate Place, Barrat London, case study, Marketing Suite
In the Autumn of 2015, our client Barratt London, came to us with a large and challenging project. They needed to relocate the Sales & Marketing team to a new building because the one they were currently in, was getting demolished.
The project further expanded to moving the engineering site offices as well as the marketing suite to a new building.
The main objective was the move of the Marketing Suite and of the Engineering Site offices to the new building.
In order to do that, our team had to:
- Provide the connectivity (data and phones) to the new Sales & Marketing Suite location temporarily by using the existing services located in the current location;
- Provide the connectivity to the new location of the Site Offices temporarily by using the existing services located in the current location;
- CAT5e data cabling for the new Site Offices location (100 data outlets).
After having further conversations with the client, there was a requirement to:
- Provide the Wi-Fi connectivity to show plots;
- Provide connectivity to the new Security Desk location.
- The current services were located in the building planned to be demolished and over 100m from the new location;
- There was no underground route/interconnection between two buildings, the data cable had to be run outside, through the busy building site;
- The new location was still a building site.
Plan and Delivery:
Firstly, Portman Tech identified all data and voice lines used in the old Marketing Suite and Site Offices location.
With no underground route, no interconnection between the two buildings, Mario, our Data Cabling Engineer came up with the solution to use 20 pairs external grade cable and run it around the site’s perimeter fence to get inside the new building, which was still a building site. The task was challenging but it was the only way to get the job done in a timely manner.
Our engineers connected the cable through 3 DP boxes to reduce the risk of getting the cable damaged and having to replace the whole length. Inside the building, the cable was run to new Marketing Suite location, new Engineers Site Offices location and to future new services location to allow a quick change to the new services.
After the 20-pairs data cable was put in place, Portman Tech liaising with Barratt London’s contractor terminated all the outlets for the Marketing Suite and provided the connectivity using a temporarily connection from the old building. The team relocated and re-provisioned the exiting TOSHIBA phone system & installed a Wi-Fi access point for the show plots above the new Marketing Suite.
Portman Tech provided a full Structured Cabling CAT6 cabling solution for the new Site Offices location, ran 100 data cable runs for the data outlets, and then terminated them in the communications cabinet patch panel.
This section presents the results of the objectives used in the study.
Our team of engineers had to work closely with our customer Barratt London, listen to the needs, and bring wise and quick solutions so that the project could finish in time.
Despite the fact that our team had to work on a busy building site, they managed to deliver everything in time without interruption of service for our customer; they worked out of hours and finished the project on time in January 2016.